Human Resources Management
The Human Resources Department as in other MDAs is saddled with the responsibility of Staff Development and Welfare. There are two Divisions in the Department, viz:
- Appointment, Promotion and Discipline; and
- Training and Staff Welfare.
These Divisions operate in consonance with extant rules as contained in the Statute Books, Circulars, Official Gazettes, Guidelines, etc. The Ministry of Youth Development has 525 staff strength as at November, 2014. This consists of the Hon. Minister, the Permanent Secretary, 36 Directorate level Officers, 428 Senior Officers and 59 Junior Staff. The major proportions of the Senior Management Cadres are pool officers from the Office of the Head of Civil Service of the Federation (OHCSF) and Office of the Accountant General of the Federation (OAGF). In all, we have 162 non-pool senior officers. (Please see the break down cadre by cadre below).
The Mandate of the Department therefore is implemented through the two aforementioned Divisions.
Appointment, Promotion and Discipline:
- Appointment of Junior Staff for the Ministry when the need arises;
- Processes the promotion of both Senior and Junior Staff of the Ministry.
- The senior and Junior Staff Committee are expected to hold their meetings on quarterly basis. The Senior Staff Committee (SSC) considers and processes all promotions and Disciplinary matters with regards to Senior Staff on Salary Grade Levels 07 - 13 in the Ministry subject to the approval of the Federal Civil Service Commission (FCSC). The Junior Staff Committee (JSC) deals with junior staff on Salary Grade Levels 03 – 06. The JSC also handles regularization, upgrading, conversion and advancement of junior officers that have acquired additional qualifications, professional skills and expertise. The two Committees exercise these Mandate in collaboration with the OHCSF and FCSC;
- Discipline: The two Committees process disciplinary action proffered against any erring senior or junior staff of the Ministry. The recommendation of the SSC on any disciplinary matter goes to the FCSC through the OHCSF. On the other hand, the JSC’s recommendation goes through the Permanent Secretary who is vested with the powers for consideration and approval;
- The Division also handles Establishment matters in the Ministry;
- Covers the Top Management meetings of the Ministry;
- The Division similarly handles in collaboration with OHCSF the regularization of Appointment of Junior Staff in the Ministry.
Training and Staff Welfare Division:
Training Division is charged with the responsibility of Manpower Development and Staff Training (both local and International) in the Ministry. The above broad function could be achieved through the under listed sub-functions:
- Collection and collation of inputs for annual training proposals from all the
- Annual defense of training proposals at the OHCSF;
- Preparation of quarterly returns of courses attended;
- Writing briefs for courses to be attended by staff;
- Organization of in-house induction courses for newly recruited staff of the Departments of the Ministry;
- Monitoring of officers on training programme with a view to ensuring effective participation;
- Carrying out post training impact assessment after the expiration of training programme by calling for a report on the performance of the officers from their supervisors; and
- Processing of Industrial Attachment applications, NYSC and part-time courses.Staff Welfare SectionThe Staff Welfare Section basically deals with Staff Welfare Administration, the Office Manager and Utility Unit. The Section is responsible for the following functions:
- Industrial Relations (Trade Union matters)
- Occupational Safety and Health including National Health Insurance
- Scheme & First Aid Services
- Administration of burial Assistance/Condolences
- Management of Housing and Office Accommodation matters
- Administration of Telephone/DSTV Services
- Administration of death benefits
- Processing of retirement benefits and liaising with PENCOM
- Coordinating Sporting Activities
- Cleaning/Sanitation matters
- Liaising with Office of the Head of Service on staff welfare matters
- Other Welfare functions including Co-operative matters, staff ID Cards and Staff claims/Housing & Motor Vehicle Loans.