GOODWILL MESSAGE DELIVERED BY MRS. RABI S. JIMETA, mni, PERMANENT SECRETRY, FEDERAL MINISTRY OF YOUTH DEVELOPMENT ON THE OCCASION OF THE FORMAL PRESENTATION OF THE PTDF CORPERS’ OUTLOOK MAGAZINEON MONDAY, 29THY JUNE, 2015.
I am delighted to be in your midst this morning at this August occasion of the formal presentation of the PTDF Corpers’ Outlook Magazine.
2. As you are aware, the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) since inception and through its mandate has contributed to the development of the physical, moral and intellectual growth of thousands of Nigerian youth, thereby giving them the opportunity to contribute their quota in the overall national development.
3. It is a well known fact that Nigeria is a youthful nation with the majority of its population of over 170 Million being made up of young people. The impact of the youth population is being felt in various sectors of the economy and is contributing greatly to national peace and security and overall national growth and productivity.
4. Distinguished Ladies and Gentlemen, I am particularly happy that the PTDF in its quest to effectively engage the youth via the NYSC scheme has over the years encouraged genuine intellectual contribution from corps members as a way of mentoring them in creative writing, presentation and communication skills. This is in line with the provisions of our National Youth Policy which encourages support and encouragement of talented and gifted youth to enable them develop and fulfill their potentials.
5. We are all aware that the contribution of PTDF to the intellectual development of the Nigerian youth through the award of scholarships and fellowships to deserving young people is second to none in this country. It is therefore not a surprise that this highly informative, lucid and research-based magazine is as a result of the outstanding handwork and contributions of these young Nigerians, with the full support of the PTDF. I therefore have no doubt in my mind that the publication being launched today, which happens to be the second in the series, will encourage more corps members to be intellectually focused and develop their skills in creative writing.
6. May I at this juncture commend the efforts of the Management of the PTDF, particularly the Executive Secretary, Contributors and Editors of this Magazine and also urge other sister organizations o emulate this good gesture.
7. Finally, as partners in youth development, I want to assure the Management of the PTDF that the Ministry will continue to support the activities of the FUND in its quest to achieving its mandate, and by extension, the mandate of the Federal Ministry of Youth Development. I am also looking forward to sustainable partnership with the Fund, with a view to assisting our young people in actualizing their full potentials.
8. Thank you and God bless us all.